Sonoma county fire resources Oct 2017
I've been experimenting with creating maps based on the NASA MODIS and VIIRS data
This is satellite data. The satellites make ? (possibly 1 pass for MODIS and one for VIIRS - I am not sur eyet) passes a day, and the data is released in 'NRT' (near real time) 'as soon as' 3 hours after a pass. So these maps are interesting but don't use them as authoritative data.
These maps include MODIS and VIIRS data with layers for the last 24 hours, 48 hours, and 7 days. I _think_ that this means that the red dots are, or have recently, been on fire. The
yellow areas are older, and the green areas older still.
- SonomaFireInfo.com Chimera members created this site with fire resources
- WIFIRE Experimental wildfire mapping from UCSD-mostly the same MODIS and VIIRS data, but I think they are doing a bit more processing than I am.
- Windy.com Beautiful wind animation
- Road Closures Caltrans road closures in csv format to paste into google mymap. Check file date
Here is the User's guide to the VIIRS (375 meter resolution) data.
- Map made Tue Oct 17 10:06 Includes historic data of the Valley fire in 2015 and Santa Rosa Fire of 1964
- Map made Sun Oct 15, 15:20 Includes historic data of the Valley fire in 2015 and Santa Rosa Fire of 1964
- Map made Sat Oct 14, 17:10 Includes historic data of the Valley fire in 2015 and Santa Rosa Fire of 1964
- Map made Sat Oct 14, 12:45
- Map made Fri Oct 13, 23:20
- Map made Fri Oct 13, 00:35pm (same fire data, but adding layers from SonomaFireInfo.com
- Map made Thur Oct 12, 22:45pm
- Map made Thur Oct 12, 19:30pm
- Map made Thur Oct 11, 21:40pm
- Github of the tools I've written this (very patchy-qgis project files, little shell scripts, etc)